Yesterday was our friend’s birthday, and he loves Rekorderlig Strawberry and Lime Cider. Actually, most of my friends are absolutely NUTS about the stuff at the moment (it IS delicious)!
I’ve been dying to try out the oven in our new house (yep, we’ve moved house in the last two weeks) and I was dearly missing baking/cooking while I was away all of last week at university in Toowoomba…… SO I decided to try to incorporate the Rekorderlig cider into cupcake form. Alcohol and cupcakes? You can’t really go wrong :)
I think the end result was really good! I’ve detailed the recipe after the pics.
These were really easy to make :) I used my basic plain cupcake recipe, and substituted milk with cider. The frosting is a cream cheese frosting infused with lime, and of course, a strawberry on top! These cupcakes also happened to perfectly match the brand new cake holder my mum bought me :)
Anyway, here is the recipe!
Rekorderlig Strawberry and Lime Cider Cupcakes with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 4 eggs
- 200g butter (softened)
- 3 cups SR flour
- 2 1/2 cups caster sugar
- Half a bottle of Rekorderlig cider (250ml = 1 cup)
- 500g cream cheese
- 500g pure icing sugar (NOT icing sugar mixture!)
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 2 limes
- Cupcake liners
- Line two 12 hole muffin trays with cupcake liners and preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer for 3 minutes on medium/high.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the eggs, one at a time, until just incorporated (don’t over mix, over mixing = dry cupcakes!).
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Add the flour and cider alternately, until all has been used.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake liners. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (may need a bit more/less time, depending on the oven) or until the cupcake feels “springy” to the touch.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and cool. Place in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to ice!
- For the icing, beat cream cheese in mixing bowl until slightly softened. Add the icing sugar until fully incorporated. Add lime juice from fresh limes to taste.
- Add a touch of green food colouring, to get the desired colour :). Fill a piping bag (fitted with round tip) with icing and frost cupcakes with smooth swirls. Place halved strawberries on top.
- Sit back with your half bottle of cider leftover from baking (it’d be a shame to waste it! ;) ) and enjoy your cupcakes! :)